Tuesday 22 July 2014

Greensleeves

It's summer, so naturally, on a hot summer day, it makes sense to look for a brunch option that has an outdoor patio. That's exactly what I did one Saturday afternoon. After applying sunblock and wearing a fedora, I sat at the Greensleeves outdoor patio on George Street and ordered eggs benny (and a mimosa, I am on George Street after all). The drinks came out, and when I placed my order, it was hardly 10 minutes before the eggs benny were placed in front of me. Seriously, I hardly had two sips of my mimosa! The timing in all this, was just not right to me, that's hardly enough time to poach my eggs, but I dove right in.


Eggs Benedict at Greensleeves come with hasbrowns and a side of baked beans. That was a welcome treat, and I actually liked the smoky flavor and bacon. The hashbrowns reminded me of my days at dining hall during my undergrad - frozen seasoned hashbrowns that were deep fried. They definitely weren't the best hashbrowns I've ever had, but I was a bit nostalgic while eating them.

Of course, the true test was the eggs benny. The hollandaise was a bit light but thick, so at first glance, I thought it may be homemade. I forgot to order a side of extra hollandaise (for dipping hashbrowns), but there was quite a bit on the plate, and that's when I tasted the hollandaise - I was disappointed. The hollandaise may have been homemade, but I know why my food was served so quickly - it was not a traditional hollandaise, but what I suspected was a yogurt hollandaise. The consistency was more like mayonnaise, but it had a bland taste. After another bite, there was no doubt in my mind - butter had been replaced with yogurt. Hence why it could be spooned on a plate so quickly. The ham was okay (it was just ham steak) and it's hard to screw up an English muffin - but, I will admit, I was disappointed (so was my brunch companion).

So, at the end of the meal, was it worth $10.99? I'd have to say, not really. While the beans were yummy, and my hashbrowns reminded me of days past, the hollandaise didn't do it for me. Actually, when I think about it, the hashbrowns weren't good if they were like dining hall! Best part of Greensleeves brunch - the outdoor patio and the mimosa!

Greensleeves, I love your patio, your servers were sooo nice, the mimosa was spot on, but the hollandaise - yuck - you're getting a 2/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment